Sunday, November 18, 2007

Swim Lessions Part II

I really thought that we'd go back to the pool and he'd be more comfortable having bonded last week with Miss Beth. Alas, I was fooled. He was a little more willing to lay on his belly and kick, but only if I called out the commands. But then when the other kids started taking turns doing assisted "floats" when Miss Beth basically just holds each kid under his back and legs to float on the water, my son was having none of it. He started to retreat again up the stairs.

In the end, once again, he did a float with Miss Beth after everyone else had left because he wanted graham crackers and I'm thinking, not only will he now have an irrational fear of water, but he'll also seek out food for comfort and reward. And it's my fault. I single-handedly created a hydrophobic over-eater. Super. I knew I should have just taken him home but I thought maybe if he just watched the other kids having what seemed like TONS OF FUN in the pool, he might want to join. I was mistaken.

At least he was marginally satisfied with his success in the pool having completed the assisted float. So do we go back next week? Do I just forget about the remaining lessons and hope he wants to learn to swim when he'd older? Don't kids get more afraid the older they are? I think my mom told me that my brother cried at his swim lessons and he ended up on the varsity swim team in high school.

This is a downer of an entry. Sorry, more peppy tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. your blog rocks girl - I'm anna (fellow mommie - wannabe blogger) and Rebeca Burciaga's sister (inlaw) and she sent me your blog address and i'm glad!! You are great at it! If there were blog nominations I'd vote you in!! I just started one myself - but it's more of pictorial blog with my boys and crafty stuff (it's my thing...) anyhow keep it up sister! Hopefully I'll meet you sometime? :)
    cheers, anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna. It's mostly replaced journaling for me but it's awesome how people have turned blogging into this whole cyber-culture thing. When you're up here visiting it would be fun to get all the boys together.
    -susie

    ReplyDelete