Friday, May 29, 2009

Tell them your mommy's an artist

This morning we were getting ready for school and I remembered that today my son was supposed to share with his class about what kind of work his parents do. He came home with a paper bag and we were supposed to put things in it that we use at work and explain how we use those things. My husband was planning to bring home a model ear (he's designing a hearing aid) and some mechanical stuff but he forgot. So I grabbed a little Shutterfly photo book and put it in the bag and explained, Mommy is a copywriter. I write all the stuff on Shutterfly's website. And he's looking at me like I just told him I'm an appraiser or a lobbyist or an accountant - all professions he has neither heard of nor can relate to on any level. Tell them I try to inspire people to share their stories through their own pictures and words...still nothing.

Then I thought, you know what? Screw that. I dumped the Shutterfly book and went to get a few of my paintbrushes, a few tubes of paint and an assortment of my 5x7 animal prints, put them in the bag, looked my kid in the eyes and said, tell them your mommy's an artist.

And then today, at 2pm, I called my wonderful manager into a conference room and said, Dianna, I'm an artist. It's time for me to go. And she said that she knew I was doing the right thing though she was sad to see me leave. And we hugged. And I thanked her for being part of my creative awakening. It was a very good exchange. And now we can just be friends again.

So that's it. While the rest of the world is being laid off, I'm leaving my full-time, well-paid, easy-to-manage job, on my own accord. She's lost her mind! It's been said, the thing that keeps you from doing something great is doing something good. My life coach taught me that. So my very good year at Shutterfly is coming to an end and soon I'll begin the shift toward morning artist and afternoon mommy. And greatness. There's a nice symmetry there. I haven't written much on this subject namely because people I work with occasionally read this blog. I will say though that I didn't just snap because it was "put your profession in a paper bag day" at school. This decision and transition is nine months in the making. Thirty-five years and nine months.

5 comments:

  1. wawooo, good luch and congratulation. you go girle, you are making your dreams come true, so amazing, and now you can work from any place in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of luck on the next stage. We are all cheering for you and your dream. Now is the time to do it. If not now, when? Love to hear how S. told the class about his mommy, the artist.
    Your desert cheering team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fantastic Susie! Your paintings are really great, and I'm glad you'll be doing what makes you happy. I miss you!
    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah - now maybe I will get to see more of you :). Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susie ~ what a wonderful post. I know exactly how you felt on this day. There was that moment for me too. The realization that I am an artist and after 32 years I was finally ready to listen to that call and believe in it to go forward without looking back. I'm so happy to have you in the fish bowl. thank for all you are sharing.

    ReplyDelete