Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cat's out of the bag

Kitty

It started with my son asking if he'd ever had a pacifier, to which I answered no. Not for lack of trying though.

Him: Did I ever suck my thumb?
Me: No. You sucked on the ears and tail of your Kitty so I had to cut them off because they smelled horrible.
Him: No you didn't. His ears are right here (pointing to the sides of his face, which kind of stick out, but are not ears).
Me: Those are Kitty's cheeks. His ears were here (pointing to where I cut them off).
Him: (Whimpering) Why did you cut Kitty? (sniff sniff)

Oops. I mean I just figured he knew that I'd cut off Kitty's ears because there were no ears and no tail and it's very clear where they used to be. But suddenly he was grieving for his disfigured kitty. The cat that he'd slept with every day since he was born. Well that's not true since this one was actually the one we got when he was six months old because my husband had lost the original and as a first time parent I was certain that kitty was an integral part of our sleep system and I was not willing to forgo another second of sleep because we didn't have the damn cat. The point is this is a very well loved kitty. But the ears and tail had to go. They were biohazard.

So then he demanded a new kitty. He has this thing with everything being just right. He doesn't want unwanted food on the side of his plate; he wants it off. Or to keep his empty juice box next to him in the car. He wants it in the front with me so he doesn't have to see it. Used goods. And it made me sad that suddenly Kitty was a hideous creature to him. I told him I could sew the ears back on but he wanted a new one because he'd be able to see the white thread. Brother.

But I found some mustard color thread and sewed back one ear good as new. Which I might add was no simple task since that ear spot was all full of thick seams and such. He was pleased. So was Kitty. But when I looked for the second ear to sew back, it appears to have gone missing. Which was a big problem tonight at bed time. He was very unhappy to sleep with a one-eared cat. Very unhappy indeed. He was sobbing about it. He wanted me to take off the ear I'd already sewn on. When pigs fly kiddo. I worked hard on that ear and there was no chance I was taking apart all of my work. I just let him cry and cry until finally he quieted down. I almost clocked his ear but I kept it together. I was torn between wanting him to feel some empathy toward the one-eared cat and just wanting him to go to bed. I opted for the latter and spared him the lecture. I find that the less I talk the better. But when will he learn to love thy one-eared neighbor?

I am so screwed if I can't find that other cat ear by tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. OMG. You'd be better off if the cell phone fetish were still alive in your house. Now I'M ready to ring his neck.. he's killing me softly.

    This is the time when "little white lies" are to be used. When he said "yes, the ears are still there," you'd have been better off agreeing.

    Gotta love that little boy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you still had the ears, and not only that, could find them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect day to teach my grandson about Memorial Day and how so many men/women have lost 1 or both legs being maimed in wars we fought! And how they continue on with their lives and hopefully have meaningful lives despite their handicaps.

    Another thought: Mike Tyson bit a chunk out of Evander Holyfield's ear as well as Van Gogh who cut off his ear entirely. Kitty is amongst such famous people. Your son should be proud to have his cat elevated to such status!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved all of Everything's Rosie's suggestions. Time for the lesson on people/animals who aren't perfect and are still worthy of our love. Hope it works. Perhaps he's ready to accept Julio as a substitute, or one of the baby kitties still around.
    Or wait to get to Santa Fe and exchange kitty for the one still alive and well there. (Tell him that his doctor uncle will do surgery to fix kitty when you visit in the summer.)
    Good luck to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. still no ear but he has come to accept Kitty for who he is, ears or not. I'm sure the ear will turn up one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well..i just so happen to know a woman who makes prosthetic, crocheted cat ears....

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/42273544/cat-ear-hair-clips-in-3-colors-black

    i have a pair in every color ( just in case..)

    she also makes adorable sushi magnets. you just never know when you'll need a bit of crocheted sashimi...

    ReplyDelete
  7. that last one was from me..sorry about signing in as anonymous...

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing how their little worlds turn when armed with a piece of retroactive information. i cannot tell you how many times i've let something slip out of my mouth because it no longer seems like a big deal, and then i see their little faces cloud over, and I groan, "oh, SHIT."

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny, to think where's he's coming from in this situation. Keep us updated--I'd love to know the fate of that cute little bio hazard kitty! (and, for what it's worth, I appreciate the labor you put in to sewing that ear back on)

    ReplyDelete
  10. crocheted sashimi! i knew something was missing from my life...now it all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete