Monday, November 2, 2009

Pause

So it turns out that taking on this little part time temporary contract at my old job is kind of kicking my ass. Not because it's taxing or difficult or unenjoyable. In fact, it's pleasant work in a nice office with lovely people. So far I haven't had to be at a single meeting. It's kind of the best possible scenario. Except that I run out of there at 12:30 to get my kids at 1:00 and then spend the next six hours trying to clean the house, get my daughter down for her nap, play cards with my son, worry about the mounting orders I've yet to fill (or the lack of orders depending on the day), make some prints (this is next to impossible), make dinner, do some half inspired craft with my son and fold some laundry. And then at night I'm filling the orders I can't fill during the day, returning emails, doing some framing, figuring out what the hell my kids will be for Halloween, paying some bills and recovering from the tantrum I had in response to my son's tantrum du jour.

Things that don't get done: No time for the gym. No time for the super market. No time to finish the drawing I started two weeks ago. And no time to blog. Sorry peeps. Nada tiempo.

And somehow I used to do this. Although working full time gives you a little flexibility. When someone else picks up the kids you can, get this, GO TO THE SUPERMARKET. You can also go to the bank. You can even get your eyebrows waxed, in case your daughter got her Frida looks from you. And you can do it all in half an hour. And don't think I haven't done all of these things with kids in tow. Even the eyebrows. They sit on the end of the bed and wonder why the little Vietnamese lady is torturing mommy. But it takes four times as long and by the end someone is crying and it's usually me.

So today, since my son had his five year well-child check up and by the time I got him to school it would have been silly for me to drive to work only to leave an hour later, I went to the post office instead to ship a consignment order I've been sitting on for three weeks. Then I went to two supermarkets. Then I deleted 200 emails. And put away some laundry. BANNER MORNING. And the afternoon went equally well. Baby was down in ten minutes. Son and I played several hands of Go Fish which I won. Then we made a collage. The house was clean and the laundry away so my son received my undivided attention. Then I taught him that if he could figure out how to hold his cards facing him instead of facing up on the carpet he might not lose every time which he did and then we tied. Baby woke up. Met a friend at the park. Came home and made dinner. And by the time darling husband arrived I was able to greet him looking like this minus the flowing hair (my hair is short):

Namaste. Incidentally, this beautiful card arrived a few days ago with two other cards from a wonderful artist named Lori Portka. She just exudes joy and hope, which shines through in her work, right? (and her blog - check that out too).

We'll see what tomorrow holds when I head back for my second week of work. The fridge is full so I have that in my favor. My daughter has a runny nose and we appear to have ants. Two strikes against. It's anybody's game.

9 comments:

  1. You really are very lovely.

    Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok you are fastly becoming one of my top favorite bloggers and not because my art is on your post- because you are too funny. And that says a lot really because I do not have kids (older step kids) so you would think I couldn't relate but I do. And the girl in the picture? I'm like that all the time too. Om.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have these same kinds of days. I wish I could transform myself into the Namaste lady every evening. It's so refreshing to know that I'm not the only one out there who thinks getting to the supermarket it a feat fit for superman (or wonder woman, in this case). Thank you for giving me hope, and perspective, on my life as a SAHM of two under 4. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad to know that my children aren't the only ones who have had the experience of watching mama get tourtured by the Vietnamese woman waxing my brows. That'll give something to ponder, I suppose. You summed up the majority of my days, and just reading I felt tense. it's encouraging to know that sometimes, you can transform into Namaste girl. I love the idea, but that seems to elude me most of the time. thanks for the chuckle, as always

    ReplyDelete
  5. nothing better than those manic, insanely productive, unencumbered mornings. i have not had an eyebrow wax sans enfants for as long as i can remember...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow-- I'm so with you on just having so much to juggle that you never feel as though you can get quite a significant amount done. But oh on the days you do, it's amazing! And so satisfying! So congrats on that for sure, and keep letting me know how you get it all going (we don't have kids yet, even, but sheesh it's a wonder to me how people have clean homes, careers, friends, and kids and marriages that somehow manage to turn out okay!)

    Incidentally, I posted two articles recently that deal with housework and balancing it with the rest of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing. Eventho i don't have any kids yet but i could also relate to you. I adore Lori's work and her cards are just soo gorgeous! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me laugh out loud - which sounds so horrible but is actually because I have just returned to work after 12 years with the children and I can't believe that 2 hours paid work a day has completely hijacked my life - thank you so much for showing me I'm not alone and while we are at it can I just admit to plucking my eyebrows at 2am last night in between my younger son being sick - I was up anyways and it was an opportunity too good to be missed - hows that for ultimate multi-tasking? :)

    ReplyDelete