Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Quarantine lifted

Hi. I'm Susie. I write this blog. Remember? Little stories about my family and life? I know. I've been gone a while. Bad blogger. No, we didn't take the kids to Disneyland.

I stayed home with my daughter last Wednesday and made some headway on Project Garbage House. I also took her to see Dr. Murray who said she had an upper respiratory tract infection and a gunky ear. I'm not clear if that was a separate thing or what. Not important. Here's where it gets hairy for your protagonist (that's me). We both develop fevers Wednesday night. 102.5. For the next three days I could not regulate my body temperature. I was freezing under my covers, then sweating like crazy, then frozen from the evaporating sweat. And my daughter was basically her happy go lucky self with a little more apple in her cheeks. During this time I sneezed so many times I basically made myself incontinent. TMI? Too bad. My blog. On Thursday morning I decided there was no way I could take care of my daughter since I could hardly get out of bed so I kept my son home from preschool to entertain her. Brilliant move it turned out. They left me alone to sleep all morning, I fed them lunch and then my unbelievably wonderful husband came home at 2:00 to take them all on a field trip and away from Mommy. On Friday I sent my son to school and stayed home again with my daughter. We managed somehow and my husband came home early again and took the kids again. Love him. And the whole weekend was more of the same. Lying around in our pajamas, taking temperatures, administering fever reducing agents. On Saturday night my son developed a fever too. So we took it easy again on Sunday and by Sunday night it seemed like he'd be able to go to school on Monday but then I noticed the eye booger.

GEORGE JESUS! So I vigilantly cleaned his eyes out and made him wash his hands a hundred times and washed his pillow and his kitty and prayed to God that he didn't have pink eye. Monday morning, no gunk but slight fever. So I kept him home but sent the girl. At this point I don't have a fever either but plenty of post flu nasal garbage. And also keep in mind it's been three weeks since I've had any time during the day to work on my business or paint or anything so I'm very close to having a major come-apart (although I did paint Tiny Village on Saturday night. Dab painting, dab nose, repeat). The text says "spread over us a shelter of peace". This was literally an S.O.S. painting.


Someone heard my painting prayer. This morning everyone was fever and gunk free and back to school/work. When the kids left this morning at 9:00 a hush came over the house. I made myself a cup a coffee and just sat on my couch listening to myself breathe. I'm actually so relieved that I work for myself now because trying to juggle sick kids when you don't have a nanny is awful.

In other news, I gathered up the kids on Sunday morning and we went room to room setting aside baby toys to give to our new baby friends. Five boxes of stuff these kids were willing to part with! And guess what we found during the great purge? Softie the scarf!!! On the very same day that my husband switched the mezuzah. Coincidence? We'll have to ask the carpet cleaners.

10 comments:

  1. I need to make a magnet that says: "Too bad. My blog."

    Having sick kids when you're sick yourself is one of the worst punishments on earth. You deserve to take a weekend off soon. Get out of town and have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray! i'm so glad the cloud of sickness has lifted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely illustration! Hope you have a resting week and enjoy with your children..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh misery, but glad to hear that everyone is well again. Wish we lived closer so we could help. Some day ??!! Definitely take the suggestion of doing something fun next weekend to get you and everyone out of the house or just you having some time to relax and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you all feel better. How nice for your husband to come home, now that is a total bonus.

    I love the painting and I laughed at the SOS part of it.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're just getting on the roller coaster this week and I'm not looking forward to it! No fevers, tho'. I really love your painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TMI- too bad, my blog. That is one of the best lines I have ever heard. I wish I said it. And I love your SOS painting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun read of a horrible experience. I apologize but I thoroughly enjoyed it(:
    Glad everyone is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your SOS painting and glad to hear you're all recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really not easy taking care of sick little ones when your also feeling under the weather. You are an inspiration! I adore your lovely riny vilage painting. :) It's gorgeous. I hope you're having a restful weekend and love to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete