Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Corner View - Front Door

Machane Yehuda

My husband and I customarily take a day to explore Jerusalem whenever we come to visit. Saba and Savta watch the kids and we spend the day walking around, eating, watching. It's always great. We usually spend our time in the Old City but on this visit we concentrated on the area called Machane Yehuda. It's a giant fruit, vegetable, candy, plastic container, appliance, broom, spice, fake Levis, pastry and cheap sandals market. It's where I used to shop every Friday morning when I lived in Jerusalem. It is total chaos. We love this place.

So we spent a few hours strolling around. We had a shwarma at a place called Moshiko's, which was next to a barber and across from a mini-synagogue. You know, in case you need to pray while buying your groceries. I guess it's more for the sellers to pop over and do their thing morning, noon and night ritual. I wish I had a picture of the five old guys hanging out at the barber. They were adorable. Especially when they halted conversation to stare at a beautiful, big-boobed, Scandinavian tourist walk by. Classic!

10 comments:

  1. It's 4:30 a.m. and I'm reading your "Corner View" while "Sleeping Too."
    Great blog. G'night wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how could anyone top this front door? no contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the colors! and your description is the best! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to read it's not YOUR front door. was going to ask you what the deal with the oranges was :)

    love the I love button by the way.
    that's what I call love (am I repeating myself? lovely.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it. That place sounds like heaven on earth. The combination of candy, spices, fake levis, and brooms is irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! This is an amazing front door. All the things behind it are intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful colours. Wish you had that picture of the old guys too - maybe they'll be there next time you visit?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hands down very cool door. enjoyed the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have to be careful when i open your blog - it's an addiction. this one made me laugh aloud. esp. the sentence beginning "you know ..."
    xok

    ReplyDelete