Monday, April 12, 2010

Houston - we have a problem

Cockpit

Sometimes I wish I had a kind of control panel like this one from the Aviation Museum where I could just turn a dial and dinner would be done. And press a button for laundry. And another for grocery shopping. And one for paying property taxes. And I'd have a dial to know the current disposition of my children and husband. And if someone was going to blow a gasket it would be right there on the dial. So I'd flip the happy switch and we could change course. And I could switch on auto pilot in bed every night, you know, so the mr. could get some action on a more regular basis. And I would definitely want an eject button.

This would have been especially handy yesterday when we got home from a long weekend in Tahoe (skiing) and our belongings were spread out all over my studio (read: triage) but before I could clean it up I had to help my son make his "friend of the week" poster which put my disposition dial in the danger zone because while I was trying to figure out why my printer was printing his hair purple he would not stop talking. Mommy, my hair's not really purple so I can't put that on my friend of the week poster because then my friends wouldn't know it's me. Maybe it's printing it like that because the black ink isn't working and we could take it out and put in a different ink that's really dark black so that my hair comes out right and then we could restart the computer and the printer so that it works better and then print all the pictures..I would definitely want a button for his mouth. Or maybe just the volume.

So we added construction paper, markers and photos to the mess (did I mention that I ironically don't enjoy doing this kind of crafty school stuff? Need a course redirection for that one too). And then we noticed the ants. The ones that show up whenever it rains. Which it is. Now. Raining.

I could have used my control panel to clean the place up, make the poster, do the laundry, exterminate the visitors. A million other things. It could be awesome. A girl can dream.

8 comments:

  1. What a delightful blog! You're so good at writing and just so able to recreate the moment. Ah! that pilot...he's something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, wouldn´t that be nice. i´m still waiting for the little elves to show up during the night so i can wake to a clean house:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would like one of these dials, as well. where can we order one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, me too at times! thanks for visiting my blog, glad you did so i could 'meet' and visit you :) I am enjoying your blog
    shona

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, now, why did you have to go and do that! you created perfection in my mind, i imagined the beauty and ease of this button-and-dial life, and then i got to the end of the post and snapped back to reality, realizing that i'm going to have to do all of these damn jobs myself. you will have to call and console me now!

    (beautifully written. i loved it.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i will dream right along with you, my friend. just love visiting your space here. it is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dream on. I am not a fan of those crafty school projects, either. Seems there is never a good time to do those. And the ants. When we lived in San Diego, they visited often. We could wake up to a new any "super highway" nearly every day. creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, write a book. You're simply a master.

    ReplyDelete