Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pillow and Basket Case

Pillows

Come. Have a seat. I saved this tiny little portion of my couch where you can rest one butt cheek.

I have put all of my throw pillows on this one little couch to dramatize my utter disdain for throw pillows. Why do I have so many? How can I get them away from me? When did Pottery Barn throw up all over my sofa? And these are pillows that are somewhat meaningful. One of them we carried home from Nepal. Two others are made from Syrian silk that we got in the Arab market in Jerusalem. Another was handmade by a Bedouin woman. But I still want them gone. You see we are in the process of selling our futon to make room for the MURPHY (yah baby) bed in our office/guest room/studio which is part of a larger project to make the studio more efficient and more inspirational. Currently it is neither of those things. It is covered in throw pillows. Ones that used to be on the floor in the living room as a kind of pull up a pillow and smoke a hooka corner. That corner now has toys in it. So the pillows are in here on the futon. Other pillows have migrated to the attic. Still more pillows are currently on the living room couch. I am done with pillows.

And you know what else I'm done with? Baskets. Sick and tired of crap in baskets. I'd just as soon throw out the crap and the baskets along with it. At first it was a nice way to hide the crap. But then you have a house full of baskets you even need a basket to hold all of your extra baskets. But I need places to keep toys and supplies and chingaderas. And I can't afford furniture that might hold all of that stuff. But it can't just be out in the world. Free. Loose. Multiplying. I shudder.

Anything in your house driving you bananas? Do tell...

12 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT use of the word "chingaderas." Well played.

    Yeah, when you figure out what do you, please pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. Wonder who you learned the word "chingaderas" from...

    ReplyDelete
  3. freecycle it all. I've got my fair share of throw pillow CASES, too. I have since tossed the pillows and those precious cases, collected from around the world, are in a box in the basement. I think they'll make a comeback eventually. Maybe when my girls are in college and in need of a smoke-a-hooka- corner. A murphy bed is a life-long dream of mine. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my entire house is a chingadera basket. i wish we could come up with a murphy bed-like solution for that problem. if i don't want to look at the baskets of crap? shove them into the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chingaderas... I HAVE to use that world in front of my husband.. I can’t wait to see his face.

    Believe me, you don’t have too many pillows. Someday, I'll show you a picture of my couch :S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for making me laugh. I am with you on the baskets. I have a love/hate with them. They control the clutter I guess. And pillows yes, they drive me crazy. The kids are just constantly throwing them all over. Yours are quite beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you won't be insulted when I throw away some of the pillows you gave us, and get rid of some of my pillow clutter?? (Maybe I'll keep the cases and just throw away the pillows, then put the cases away in one of the those baskets that I don't yet have.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Please you crack me up. Half a butt cheek. How can you ever get rid of pillow from Nepal and Arab markets? You HAVE to keep those ones. I love pillows and always want to buy more of them but my husband has made a rule that we are forbidden to buy any more pillows. So I'm cut off. What drives me bananas? TV trays that the people in my house NEVER put away. Once in a fit I took all the trays to the curb. That will show em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Susie. I just looked at the pillow picture again and I TOTALLY have that Cha Cha pillow. AH HA hahahahaha. I am looking at it right now in my living room. It is from pottery barn like 10 years ago. TOO funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. totally agree on baskets. and i must add Tupperware containers. the ones you save because you think you'll need them and then you end up with a tower that keeps falling over in your cupboards. you've inspired me. Tupperware be gone!

    best wishes,
    juliette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Well... yes... it's a constant process, in our house. What we could use just now is more storage space for those things that we don't want to let go of but still don't want to leave out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have to know that chingaderas is my favorite freaking word. And your use of it slays me. I hope you will dazzle me with your spanish slang when at last we meet.

    Cluttering up my aura is excess snapware, children's plastic cups they no longer use which refuse to come clean in the dishwasher, oddball organizing containers including some weird baskets, 4 cans of hairspray about half full and all nozzle-clogged, and a junk drawer full of musical greetings cards my son will not allow me to throw away. Get thee behind us, unwanted tshatshka!

    ReplyDelete